Oct 26, 2009

Tom Tryon in I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)



Tom Tryon in I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)
more info about this film @ IMDB

Ah, 50s sci-fi, how I love thee! I might be in minority, (at least within my circle of friends.) but I truly am more entertained by movies of the past than many present day blockbusters. True, the special effects are better, the scale are more grand, but there is something about black and white film stock, the clumsy sets, and obvious scaled models that stir me; these rough edges indicate that this is not a imitation of reality (which all movies these days attempt very hard to achieve.), but just a cinematic experience. It is a more relaxing, burden-free watch.

(I was totally depressed after seeing District 9... Great film, but the aftershock was uncomfortable.)

Horribly misleading title, (the movie is much better than what is suggested.) this is probably my favorite 50s sci-fi so far; great build-up, unfortunately the rushed conclusion was a bit of a letdown.

Tom Tryon has a great presence, his features remind me of both Charlton Heston and Montgomery Cliff- not an easy task to look like two other great looking actors!

No comments:

Post a Comment