Nov 3, 2010

Robert Mitchum in Foreign Intrigue (1956)



Robert Mitchum in Foreign Intrigue (1956)
more info about this film @ IMDB

The blog has suffered from a bit of Robert Mitchum drought lately, fortunately it is solved with this new post on one of my favorite male actors. Oh, how I miss Mr. Mitchum's eyes, that chin, the wide shoulder and the attitude! I can repeat that shirt off scene all day long!

Foreign Intrigue is a rather curious film, I enjoyed it tremendously, but the first word that comes to my mind describing it is "awkward." The plot has characteristics of film noir, but the bright, postcard-like locales and light music score often conflict with the mood. The often lighthearted dialogs sounds like a satire on the noir genre, but the ending of the film is downright hitchcockian, poetic and beautifully tragic. Overall I think my enjoyment mostly comes from observing the craftsmanship of the film, rather than the movie itself. Nevertheless, if you own a Netflix account, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment